|Iran sees no reason to close Fordo enrichment facility: IAEA envoy||
TEHRAN - The Iranian ambassador to the International Atomic Energy Agency has said that Iran sees no reason to close the Fordo uranium enrichment facility.
“When you have a safe place, secure place under IAEA control, then why do you tell me that I should close it?,” Ambassador Ali Asghar Soltanieh told Reuters on Friday.
“Fordo is a safe place. We have spent a lot of money and time to have a safe place,” Soltanieh said, adding that Iran sees no “justification” for closing the enrichment facility.
According to Reuters, a senior U.S. official said last month that the United States and its allies would demand that Iran halt higher-grade enrichment and immediately close the Fordo facility at talks over Tehran’s nuclear program.
Iran and the 5+1 group (the five permanent members of the UN Security Council and Germany) held a new round of talks in Istanbul on April 14, breaking a 15-month hiatus in talks.
“One thing is clear. The enrichment in Iran will never be suspended,” Soltanieh said.
The main bone of contention between Tehran and the West is Iran’s uranium enrichment program.
Iran says all its nuclear activities are totally peaceful, and, as an International Atomic Energy Agency member and a nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty signatory, it has the legal right to produce nuclear fuel for its research reactors and nuclear power plants.
Subscribe to our RSS feed to stay in touch and receive all of TT updates right in your feed reader