|Iran mulling boycott of Venice Film Festival over EU sanctions||
TEHRAN -- An official of the Iranian Ministry of Culture and Islamic Guidance said that the organization is currently investigating a plan to boycott this year’s Venice Film Festival due to the EU sanctions against Iran.
“Due to the strong sanctions imposed by the European Union on Iran, we naturally are thinking over a plan to boycott the festival this year,” Culture Ministry’s Supervision and Evaluation Office Director Alireza Sajjadpur said in press release on Saturday.
He said that Iranian films may be withdrawn from the festival.
He made the comments following the announcement of the festival’s lineup. Accordingly, “The Paternal House” directed by Kianush Ayyari is the only Iranian film scheduled to premiere in the Horizon section of the event.
Sajjadpur’s office had previously demanded that Ayyari make a few cuts in the film in order to receive a screening license.
“The modifications have not been made yet. Consequently the film is not allowed to premiere in Iran and abroad,” he said
This year’s Venice Film Festival runs from August 29 to September 8.
“At Any Price” by the U.S.-based Iranian director Ramin Bahrani will be screened in the international competition section of the festival.
Delegations from the Iranian Young Cinema Society, the Documentary and Experimental Film Center and the Farabi Cinematic Foundation, all of which are affiliated with the Culture Ministry had attended the 65th annual Cannes Film Festival in May 2012.
In addition, Iranian director Masud Bakhshi’s debut film “A Respectable Family” premiered at the festival.
Subscribe to our RSS feed to stay in touch and receive all of TT updates right in your feed reader
|Last Updated on 30 July 2012 06:10|